Veterinary Technician | Training Provided! | Fenton, MO
Technicians | Fenton, MO
Seeking an independent, compassionate Technician to join our team!
• Communicate with clients regarding the medical status of their pet. Provide accurate information to clients concerning fees, hospital policies and procedures, etc.
• Instruct clients as to what they should do prior to bringing their pets in for procedures, how to care for their pets after discharge from the hospital, how to administer medication, etc.
• Educate clients regarding preventive medicine and vaccination requirements. Recommend laboratory procedures, such as pre-anesthetic profiles, geriatric screening, fecals, urinalysis, heartworm checks, FeLV testing, etc. Give clients handouts and educational materials to take home to further their understanding of veterinary issues.
• Demonstrate warmth, courtesy and professionalism in all interactions with clients. Exercise compassion and care in all interactions with patients.
• Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures. Know how to properly handle difficult or contentious animals.
• Follow established procedures in order to assist veterinarians with examinations and facilitate the flow of clients and patients through the out-patient clinic. Consult with veterinarians on a daily basis to plan each day's activities. Keep doctors apprised of potential problems, discussions with clients, etc.
• Review medical records and notes made by the admitting receptionist in order to discern the nature of the visit and any test or procedures that may be needed.
• Greet clients and escort them and their pets into an exam room. Place the patient on the exam table and prepare for the doctor to enter the room. Obtain basic information (weight, temperature, etc.) on the pet.
• Discuss with the client the reason fro the visit (chief complaint), any symptoms or problems being experienced, and any procedures that may need to be done (i.e. vaccinations, fecal or heartworm tests, etc.). Utilize a pre-exam checklist, lifestyle surgery and any other applicable client educational pieces to ensure that all medical needs are covered.
• Obtain any laboratory samples that may be needed from the pet or make sure that laboratory work is performed by another team member while the patient is still in the exam room. Utilize fecal loop when necessary. Anticipate and prepare any medications or vaccines the doctor will need to treat the patient.
• Notify the veterinarian when patient in the exam room are ready to be seen. Advise the veterinarian of the information already known such as the nature of the visit, preventive procedures due, test that are to be run, etc. Assist the veterinarian within the exam room by restraining the animal, preparing forms, obtaining instruments, etc. Remain in the exam room until excused by the doctor.
• Ensure all procedures rendered during the visit are documented for proper billing. Ensure that all vaccinations, procedures, notes, etc have been documented in the medical record.
• Escort the client and patient to the front desk and give the medical record and patient visit form to the receptionist for client receipting. Prepare the exam room for the next visit.
• Prepare specimens for outside laboratory. Obtain results from the laboratory over the phone or fax.
• Monitor laboratory supplies and order additional laboratory supplies as needed.
• Take, develop and maintain radiographs following proper safety procedures.
• Perform routine suture removals, nail trims, and weight checks. Apply bandages and splints under the direction of the attending veterinarian.
• Give injections, as directed by veterinarian- intravenous, intramuscular and subcutaneous.
• Promote the practice's products, programs and services. Utilize passive marketing. Make suggestions to clients about products appropriate for their pet's condition.
• Accurately dispense prescription medications as directed by veterinarian. Prepare prescription labels and appropriately package medications. Ensure that medications are added to patient's record and appropriately charged to clients.
• Follow DEA and OSHA guidelines. Document controlled drug logs anytime a controlled drug is used. Follow appropriate safety and handling of hazardous material . Follow established hospital safety guidelines regarding radiographs, controlled drugs, animal handling, etc.
• Clean and straighten exam rooms, treatment lab areas. Restock exam rooms with supplies as needed. Assist other team members to keep the public areas of the practice clean and well maintained. Clean and maintain all medical equipment as required.
• Demonstrate initiative and teamwork in everyday duties, assisting other team members within the practice.
• Organize work area and exercise time management skills to maximize personal efficiency within the practice. Prioritize tasks and handle multiple tasks in a calm, organized manner.
• Work well with all team members and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the doctors, and the practice philosophy.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge:
• Knowledge of the procedures used for receiving, treating, and scheduling patients, for ordering medical supplies, and requesting laboratory tests.
• Knowledge of proper methods of animal restraint.
• Apply knowledge and skills in controlling/handling individual animal temperament.
• Knowledge of the use, care, and storage of veterinary instruments, material and equipment.
• Knowledge of sterilization techniques to sterilize various instruments and materials.
• Knowledge of the instruments, materials, and standardized procedures used in the full variety of treatments to make preparations and provide “tableside” assistance.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing client and personal services. This includes client needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of client satisfaction.
• Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
• Ability to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments. Understand and carry out oral and written direction.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to hazards associated with aggressive patients; hazards associated with infected animals and controlled substances; exposure to unpleasant odors and noises; exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes; possible exposure to contagious diseases
Follow federal and state animal health laws and regulations including OSHA and DEA.
• Receive, handle and treat patients with skill, compassion and care.
• Accurately perform laboratory test.
• Ability to observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent.
• Regular attendance and timeliness are an essential function in order to fulfill the requirements of this position.
• Strong communication and client service skills. Considerable test and diplomacy is required. Ability to work with clients and patients in a professional, friendly, hospitable manner.
• Work well with all team members and ensure that your actions support the hospital, the doctors, and the medicine that we practice.
• Perform general physical activities that require bending, standing, stooping, moving from room to room, sit, talk, and listen; may be required to walk or stand for long periods of time; will use hands to manipulate, handle, or fell; will reach with hands and arms.
• Frequently lift, carry dogs weighing 40 lbs. Walk and handle dogs weighing up to 150 lb
We are a small 2 - 3 doctor practice with excellent coworkers that make work feel like home. This position will allow you to be more hands on with patients. New hire will be using all technical skills, and will be able to advance their knowledge and abilities as a technician.
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug benefits for you and eligible dependents
- Paid time off for full-time employees
- 401(k) plan
- Continuing education allowance for licensed technicians
- Guardian voluntary benefits